Master projects at AG Dr. Schmid
Master Thesis Research Project: in vitro mini-lung model
Are you interested in miniaturized in vitro models such as lung-on-chip?
We, the Laboratory for Pulmonary Aerosol Delivery (AG Dr. Schmid) at the Institute of Lung Health and Immunity (LHI) of Helmholtz Munich are working on the development of advanced in vitro models for the lung.
With our newly developed mini-lung model, we aim to investigate the efficacy (pharmacokinetics) of aerosolized drugs under physiological-clinical conditions as in inhalation therapy.
We are looking for Master’s students interested in developing advanced in vitro lungs for preclinical drug development (You can start right away).
- We can offer you a multi-disciplinary project with an access to cutting-edge technologies
- We will train you, however, at the same time you would work independently –of course, you will get the full support of your supervisor and he will have time for you.
- You will work in a research team with international collaborations (language: English).
Your responsibilities would be:
- Basic laboratory experience
- Basic cell culture
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Knowledge of cellular assays such as ELISA and advanced cell culture models is an advantage
AND Based on your project, you will know/improve:
- Advanced cell culture models (mono- and coculture model) with primary cells
- Analyze biological endpoints such as proliferation assays, immunofluorescence (IF) staining, and confocal microscopy
- Collect and analyze pharmacokinetic parameters
- Translation of preclinical results into clinical relevance
- Handling of in vitro mini lung which is unique in the world.
Would like to know more about our research projects? Please check out these papers:
- Doryab A., Taskin M., Stahlhut P., Groll J., Wagner D.E., Schmid O. 2021. “A Biomimetic, Copolymeric Membrane for Cell-Stretch Experiments with Pulmonary Epithelial Cells at the Air-Liquid Interface”.
Advanced Functional Materials: 2004707. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adfm.202004707
- Doryab A., Taskin M., Stahlhut P., Orak S. Voss C., Hilgendorff A., Rehberg M., Stöger T., Groll J., Schmid O. 2021. “A Bioinspired In Vitro Lung Model to Study Particokinetics of Nano-/Microparticles under Cyclic Stretch and Air-Liquid Interface Conditions.” Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology 9: 42. https://doi.org/10.3389/fbioe.2021.616830
Please feel free to ask any questions about this position:
Dr. Ali Doryab
RG of Pulmonary Aerosol Delivery (Schmid Lab)
Institute of Lung Health and Immunity (LHI)
- master-ag-schmid (65 KByte)